Okay, so technically, I’m not on vacation yet. I still have some work to do for the university over the next several days, and I’ll be popping into the family business to push some paper early next week. But classes are not in session, and I’ve edited my last manuscript of the year, so my desk is mostly clear. It feels like vacation just because my workload is so drastically reduced all of a sudden.
Today was supposed to be an at-home day because the foundation repair guys had to come and bang and rattle around in the basement again.* Of course, with an at-home day, and only a few measly hours of work to do, you can imagine where my mind went. Time to play with textiles! Yay!
Except first this happened.
That sucker bent like a boomerang and basically locked itself inside the bobbin cage. With two layers of fabric on the shank, of course, because I was mid-seam when it happened. Guess how long it took me to get this needle free. Hint: long enough that I decided to take a tea break in the middle of fighting to dislodge it.
So. Okay. Needles bend and stuff. I got that sorted, and returned to my project, the final pair of fleece track pants and the final warm thing. I’m a little sick of sewing fleece by now, but this set is nearly finished, and I expected to wrap it up today.
Except then this happened.
The bobbin ran out and I only had this much thread left on the spool. I still had to topstitch one armscye seam and attach the hood, so if the bobbin had held, this might have been enough to complete the project. Am I the only one who things it sucks that a fresh spool isn’t enough to complete this simple outfit? The spool was marked as having 125 yards, but I’m quite sure that is overstated. If the spool had really had 125 yards, there would have been leftovers.
And of course, I couldn’t just pop out to get another spool because workmen and their muddy boots were swarming the place today. I had to wait for them to wrap for the day before I could go pick up more thread.
What’s a crafty girl to do? I took a quick inventory of my already cut projects, and as long as I was going to make a thread run, I went ahead and checked that I had all the notions etc for those projects.
And then I made these.
What the heck. They were cut and ready to sew, the final pair of cotton pajama pants that I cut out late in the summer. These take no time at all, and that’s one less pending project in my sewing room. I don’t even remember what fabric this is — something from a quilt shop, no doubt, but I can’t guess which one. This gives me four pairs of woven pajama pants, and that’s enough. Even if I get reeeeeeally lazy about doing laundry, four ought to be enough.
I thought I had more projects cut and ready to sew. But other than the fleece-in-progress, I only have one wool skirt, two summer sundresses, and a couple of muslins for coats. If I’m actually able to spend my time sewing instead of surgically removing bent needles and moaning about short spools, I can easily knock out the skirt and two sundresses before Christmas. As our country friends might say, God willing and the creek don’t rise!
* For those of you who know me in real life, yes, foundation repairs AGAIN, but the engineer says that this is really for sure the last time they have to fix something, and they mean it this time you guys so stop laughing already. For everyone else, my house cracked in half about five years ago and the repairs have been epic. The problem stemmed from a collapsed underground stream in my neighborhood, and because of the way the land shifted, they’ve had terrible times fixing the house.